I love ALL kinds of cake, especially chocolate!! But, during summertime I absolutely love the abundance of fresh fruit! It’s an awesome time to buy berries in bulk, bag them and freeze them! In my opinion, crumb cake is the perfect cake to pair with any kind of fruit. It has a just enough substance to satisfy my “cake cravings” without overwhelming the naturally sweet fresh fruit.
Texture is the BEST thing about crumb cake! I use 3 parts crumb cake mixture to 1 part fruit. I’m a “go big or go home” kind of dessert girl. So, I always top hot crumb cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I made this batch of blueberry crumb cake in large muffins instead of a springform pan. As you can see, the result is the same, just in smaller individual servings.
- 2½ cups flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, cold
- 1 egg
- Blueberry Filling
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 8" spring form pan or large muffin tin.
- In small mixing bowl, combine blueberries, sugar and flour (I smash a few for a bit of binding juice). Set aside.
- In a standing mixer using whisk attachment combine; flour, sugars, baking powder and salt. Add butter and egg and continue to mix only until crumbly mixture forms.
- Scoop 2 parts of crumbly mixture (2/3) into cake pan or muffin tins. Spoon blueberry mixture on top of crumb mixture. Top remaining ⅓ of crumb mixture to cover blueberries.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until lightly golden on top. Let cool for 5 minutes and then serve with vanilla ice cream.