I love the simplicity behind this little treat! The banana “ice cream” consists of frozen bananas with a touch of cream. However, adding the cream is entirely optional! Simply slice up a bunch of bananas, bag them and toss them in the freezer. I usually do this when my bananas start to get dark spots (that’s when they are the sweetest).
Once the banana slices are frozen, remove them from the freezer and let them rest on the counter for 5 minutes (to soften). Meanwhile, I prep a square pan by lining it with parchment paper. Then, put banana slices in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth and creamy. At this point, I add a touch of cream or vanilla bean. Once your banana cream is completely mixed, use a spatula to spread the banana cream into the square pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place it back into the freezer until frozen solid.
This last step is somewhat “time sensitive”. When you take your frozen banana ice cream out of the freezer, you’ll need to slice the ice cream into small bite-size pieces. First, use a spatula to loosen the sides of the frozen banana cream. Then, tip the square pan upside down, onto a cutting board. Quickly, slice out a bunch of bite-size squares. I return all of my bite-size pieces, back into the freezer so they can firm up again. Lastly, make the homemade chocolate “magic shell” for dipping. I use Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate YUM! This is a seriously addictive treat!
- 6 very ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Chocolate for Dipping
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 ounces dark chocolate (70% cacao or higher), finely chopped
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- Slice bananas and place in a freezer bag. Freeze for several hours (overnight is ideal).
- Remove frozen bananas from the freezer and let set out for about 5 minutes while you prep your square pan by lining with parchment paper.
- Place the bananas in the food processor, add cream then pulse/blend until smooth and creamy. Use a rubber spatula to transfer ice cream into square pan. Cover with plastic wrap and return to freezer. Freeze until solid. Remove from freezer and loosen sides of ice cream with spatula. Tip pan upside down onto a cutting board. Cut even square and transfer back into pan. Returning to freezer to firm up again. Act as quickly as possible when slicing squares. You should be able slice frozen block out onto cutting board, slice squares and then place the square pan back ontop of the now cut up frozen banana bites. Flip upright and return to freezer. For dipping chocolate; place chocolate coconut oil and salt in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, stopping and stirring every 30 seconds.
- Remove bites from freezer. Stab each with a wooden skewer and quickly ip in melted chocolate. Eat immediately!