These are seriously rich cupcakes! This cupcake is completely inspired by the Brown Eyed Baker. I read through her recipe and had to make a version of this cupcake for myself. I absolutely LOVE chocolate AND peanut butter. So, this cupcake really spoke me!
I made a few changes to the cupcake, as well as the frosting. I always encourage tasting and tweaking, to suit ones palate! The peanut butter frosting is primarily; peanut butter, confectioners’ sugar, and heavy cream. The flavor is extremely rich. Somewhat deceiving, with such a “light” and fluffy appearance.
- Double Chocolate Cupcakes
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 stick butter, softened cup
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt with ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons butter, at room temp
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- Cupcakes: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat to 325 degrees F. Line standard-size muffin pan with baking cup liners.
- Combine butter, chocolate, and cocoa in medium microwave safe bowl. Microwave the mixture for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir until completely smooth. Set aside to cool until just warm to the touch. Whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder in small bowl to combine. Whisk eggs in second medium bowl to combine; add sugar, vanilla, and salt until fully incorporated. Add cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Sift about one-third of flour mixture over chocolate mixture and whisk until combined; whisk in yogurt until combined, then sift remaining flour mixture over and whisk until batter is thick.Divide the batter evenly among muffin pan cups ( I use an ice cream scoop). Bake until skewer inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature before icing, about 30 minutes.
- To make the Peanut Butter Frosting: Place sugar, peanut butter, butter and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work. Add cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.