Easy Homemade Pretzel Bites
Author: yo ~ xoxo
Recipe type: Appetizer
Serves: 100 bites
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2½ teaspoonsactive dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4½ cups flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 10 cups water
- ⅓ cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk beaten + 1 tablespoon water
- sea salt
- Combine the water, sugar and yeast in bowl of a standing mixer. Let sit 5 minutes. Add salt, flour and butter. Mix, using dough hook attachment, on low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium and continue to knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl. Continue to knead for another 3 min. Remove dough from bowl. Spray bowl with nonstick cooking spray and return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until dough doubles in size (about 45 min).
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly spray two baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart saucepan.
- In the meantime, place dough on a flat surface and divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 12 inch long rope. Using a pizza cutter or very sharp knife, cut the dough into about one inches pieces.
- Boil pretzel bites in the baking soda water in batches of about 20 pretzel bites for about 20 seconds. Remove pretzels with a large slotted spoon and place on prepared baking sheets, making sure they don't touch. Brush the tops with the egg wash and lightly season with sea salt. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer bites to a cooling rack and let rest 5 minutes before eating. Serve with sweet or saviory dipping sauce.