However, hiding deep inside is a decadant chocolate truffle. These cupcakes not only melt in your mouth, the rich chocolate center completely balances the light, moist vanilla cupcake. I never eat just one!
Ultimately, these cupcakes need no frosting whatsoever. I started making these cupcakes because I LOVE the sweetness of chocolate frosting. But, my kids hate frosting. This is a cupcake that satisfies ALL of us!
- 1 box French Vanilla cake mix (I use Betty Crocker)
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, room temp
- For ganache and chocolate truffles:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with paper baking cups.
- In standing mixing bowl; combine cake mix, water, oil. Break eggs in separate bowl and use a fork to combine. Add to cake batter and mix on low for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 additional minutes (scrape bowl occasionally). Reserve 1 cup of cake batter (to be mixed with some of the chocolate gnache). Spoon batter into cups about 2 tablespoons each.
- For ganache: melt chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl, in microwave for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from microwave and pour cream over chips. Rest for a minute or two. Stir with fork until smooth. Take ¼ cup of ganache and mix with reserved cake batter. Take remaining ganache in bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator for an hour or two until firm. Remove and with a teaspoon roll out balls of the ganache. Roll quickly, as it will melt from the heat of your hands) place balls on plate lined with parchment paper and place back in refrigerator for another hour, or until firm.
- Place one truffle in the center of each cupcake. Spoon another 2 tablespoons of vanilla cake batter. Then ANOTHER spoonful (1 tablespoon) of the chocolate ganache/vanilla cake batter. Usea skewer to swirl chocolate batter into vanilla batter. The cupcakes should be FULL to the top of each tin.
- Place tin in oven and bake for 15-17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and Cool completely.