Sometimes, the best ideas are born out of practicality! Case and point; Funnel Cake Cones! I really wanted to post a step-by-step tutorial on how to make funnel cakes. To keep the cakes looking “pretty” I wrapped them up and decided to stick them upright in a few mugs.
By the time I was done, I realized how quickly I had assembled a bunch of cones that were simply waiting to be filled! Sadly, I didn’t have fresh fruit on hand to fill them for the pictures. However, I would fill them with fresh strawberries or peaches. YUM!
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1¼ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- In a deep skillet, heat about two cups of oil over medium-high heat until hot. Test the temperature by dropping a pinch of flour into the hot oil. If it sizzles right away without smoking, it's perfect. Beat egg and milk. Mix all other ingredients in a separate bowl and slowly add to the egg mixture, beating until smooth.
- Transfer batter into a plastic squeeze bottle (or water bottle with a push cap). Drizzle and stream the batter in a circular motion into the hot oil.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes, remove from the oil when golden brown and crispy.
- Dab cakes on paper towel then transfer each cake to a square piece of parchment paper.
- Dust with powdered sugar. Proceed to make funnel cakes into cones by folding the bottom first, then each side. Stick the cones in a mug and fill with fruit or desired filling.