Like most families, we make a lot of quesadillas because they are quick and easy. Quesadillas can be stuffed with just about anything! Since my daughter is (somewhat) vegetarian, I like using a vegetable that has a meaty substance, to satisfy both my daughter and my hungry teenage boys! Eggplant is perfect!
I slice the eggplant, brush it with a combo of olive oil and garlic butter. I prefer grilling eggplant on my panini press, since I don’t have to flip it. Eggplant get’s mushy quickly, so the less handling, the better. After the eggplant is grilled, then you just need to assemble your quesadilla “stuffing”. I use chopped fresh basil, sliced roma tomatoes, diced red pepper and crumbled goat cheese. I prefer layering my items on one side of a flour tortilla shell, then folding in half (creating a half moon shape). The pièce de ré·sis·tance is the parmesan crust! I combine softened butter, olive oil, fresh miced garlic and shredded parmesan cheese. Brush each half moon with parmesan butter and toast in a cast iron skillet. They are heavenly!!
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into thin "patties"
- 4 roma tomates, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 8-10 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 8-10 large flour or wheat tortillas
- olive oil for basting eggplant
- Parmesan Butter:
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 stick butter, softened
- Prepare eggplant patties for grilling (or roasting) by basting top and bottom with olive oil. Place on grill at medium hot temp. or panini press for about 5 minutes. If roasting, Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil and place basted eggplant on that. Roast for 25 minutes, turning once.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine butter, olive oil, miced garlic and parmesan until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Prepare assembling station for quesadillas; tomatoes, basil, red pepper and parmesan butter.
- Heat cast iron skillet to medium temp.
- Layer on half of each flour tortilla; grilled eggplant pattie, tomato slices, fresh basil and diced red pepper. Fold tortilla in half, creating a half moon. Baste the top of quesadilla (as you go) and place (top down) in hot skillet to toast. Baste and Flip until golden crust is achieved (about 1-2 minutes).