Last night my sweet hubby grilled up Beef Smoked Sausage to absolute perfection! It’s hard to make anything that pairs well with his grilled cooking. But, I was completely inspired by Creme dela Crumb’s PepperJack Bacon Mac N’ Cheese! I really wanted to try this recipe and thought maybe I’d take it up a notch, with some habanero jack chese. I was absolutely blown away by how delicious it was! I also topped it off with a bit of Cholula Hot Sauce. Yum!!
- 16 ounces medium size shells
- 10 slices bacon, peppered, cooked til crispy and crumbled
- ½ cup mini sweet peppers
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 - 4 cups heavy cream
- 4 ounces habanero jack cheese, shredded or cubed
- 4 ounces pepperjack cheese, shredded or cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook shells accordingly. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In large skillet, melt butter and saute onion and peppers until translucent. Add flour to coat veggies, browning flour a bit. Add a bit of cream and continue stirring until sauce is consistent and creamy, add cheesse and remaining cream. I use heavy cream in my mac n' cheese, but this can be substituted very easily with chicken broth and half and half or milk.
- Add cooked shells and stir until shells are coated. Transfer to a 9x13 casserole dish. Top with crumbled (homemade) croutons and bake for 10 minutes until golden brown.