I absolutely LOVE these cookies! They’re not only a crowd pleaser but they are ridiculously easy to make
Key techniques to keep in mind when making this recipe:
- Roll cookie dough balls EVENLY
- Do not OVER bake cookies
- CHILL before serving
Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Oreos
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 12 sandwiches
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick butter, softened (or ⅓ cup oil)
- Premade Pillsburg Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Homemade Filling:
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1¾ cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *store bought vanilla frosting CAN be used, if in a pinch
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Mix cake mix, eggs, and butter in a bowl. Dough should be thick enough to roll into PING PONG size balls. Spray cookie sheet with no-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Roll chocolate chip cookie dough and cake mix dough into 24 PING PONG size balls.
- Place Chocolate Chip Cookie Doughball on cookie sheet FIRST. Press down on the balls to slightly flatten. Then top each flattened dough ball with a cake mix dough ball. Again, gently pressing down to flatten. Bake on center rack for 6-8 minutes. The cookies should BEGIN to crack on the surface, but look soft. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for atleast 3 minutes before transferrring to a cooking rack. Cool completely.
- Cream Filling: In a stand mixer, with paddle attachment, beat butter and shortening on high until creamy (about 1 minute). Turn off mixer and add sugar and vanilla. Beat on low for a minute and then on high for another minute. Cream filling will be thick.
- Spread cream filling between two cooled chocolate cookies. Cookies freeze well.