Key techniques to keep in mind when making this recipe:
- Do Not Overmix…LUMPY is good
- Test your temperature (with a drop of water)
perfect buttermilk pancakes
Recipe type: breakfast and brunch
Serves: 8-10 pancakes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or *sour milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- *Souring milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice OR vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup. Let stand 5 minutes before using.
- In one bowl mix: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In second bowl mix: egg, buttermilk, and cooking oil.
- Add wet mixture to the dry mix. Stir till blended but slightly lumpy (30 strokes). Don't over mix.
- Pour about ¼ cup batter onto a (medium high) hot , lightly greased griddle *test with a drop of water that beads up and sizzles. Watch batter for air bubbles to start pop with slightly dry edges. Then you know it's time to flip the pancake.