Potato Salad is one of those recipes, everyone “tweaks” with a bit. Growing up in Idaho, I had ample opportunity to taste many versions of this popular BBQ side dish. All in all the best versions had one thing in common…
PLENTY of dressing! If you’ve had dry potato salad, then you’ll understand. Potato salad should be chilled several hours [preferrably overnight] before serving. If you skimp on the dressing, your salad WILL be dry. Some tend to add a little mayo and mustard right before serving. I discourage doing this, as it can really overwhelm the salad with a mayo or mustard taste. Like any mayo based salad dressing, the flavors need time to marinade. Potato salad is no exception. So, my #1 tip for making the Perfect potato salad is: Make up extra dressing and put it in the fridge alongside your salad. Taste and “tweak” accordingly. The point is, do the tweaking BEFORE you chill the salad.
Key techniques to keep in mind when making this recipe:
- Don’t OVERCOOK potatoes. They need to be tender BUT firm.
- Let eggs stand in hot water for 10-12 minutes after removing from heat
- CHILL CHILL CHILL
- 6 large red potatoes
- 9 hard boiled eggs
- 1 bunch green onions [chopped fine]
- ½ white onion [chopped fine]
- ⅛ cup diced dill pickles
- ½ cup celery finely chopped
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard [Dijon - great option]
- 1-1/2 tablespoon sugar
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- dash of paprika to garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender but still firm. Drain, cool and cut into cubes [I leave the skins on, but this is optional].
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
- Chop celery, onions and pickles [reserve a bit of green onions for garnish- optional].
- For Dressing: Mix mayonnaise, mustard, heavy cream, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Always taste dressing and adjust to suit. Pour over potato combination and stir until WELL coated. Garnish with sliced boiled egg. a bit of green onion and a dash of paprika. Chill for atleast 3-4 hours, preferrably OVERNIGHT.