I love making any type of bread to serve with dinner. However, this bread is a MEAL in itself! I typically make smaller twisty bread sticks, but making one large loaf is much faster! Simply cut up thin slices and serve with marinara or pizza sauce. The creamy cheese filling, is just that… FILLING!
To create your twisted loaf, just roll out two rectangular pieces of the dough and lay down cheese filling in the center.
Pinch the top and twist (over under).
- Cheese Filling
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, cubed or shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesean cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Ricotta cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, diced
- Pizza Dough
- 3½ cups flour
- 1½ cups warm milk
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cornmeal (for dusting pizza stone or cookie sheet)
- In small bowl, combine warmed milk, yeast, sugar and salt. Stir and rest for 5 min. In a stand mixer with kneading paddle, combine flour and milk/yeast mix on low until dough begins to gather. Turn up speed and continue kneading for 5 minues. Turn dough over in a buttered bowl and rest until doubled in size (20 minutes). Meanwhile, make Three Cheese Filling:
- In a small bowl combine mozzarella, parmesan and ricotta cheeses. Add minced garlic and basil, mixing until smooth and creamy.
- Separate dough in half, creating two dough balls. Roll dough balls into two rectangular pieces. Lay a row of cheese mixture in each rectangular piece. Fold each end in. Pinch the two rectangular bread dough pieces together at the top. Begin to gently twist (over and under) to create one twisted bread loaf. Dust pizza stone or cookie sheet with cornmeal and transfer loaf. Baste with melted butter and rise (about 10 minutes). Meanwhile, preheat oven at 375 degrees F.
- Bake loaf for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Baste with butter, slice or pull apart. Delicious with marinara dipping sauce.